Built in 1899, Main Hall stands at the center of the University of Montana in Missoula, Mont. It was designed by a well-known Missoula architect A.J. Gibson, with a Richardsonian-Romanesque style. It holds a carillon of 47 bells, which plays music according to the season. Each bell was installed in 1953 when the Korean War ended, and each is inscribed to remember those who served in America’s wars.
Left Photo Credit: Archives and Special Collections at the University of Montana, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library.
During the 1930s, the city of Billings enjoyed a few years of growth due to its major railroad development, which later gave the city the nickname “Magic City.”
Left Photo Credit: Billings Public Library
Right Photo Credit: Sara Goth
The University of Montana was established in 1893, and classes were held nearby at Willard School as plans for the campus were developing.
Right Photo Credit: Dsetay
Lewistown, Mont. was established in 1879, soon after Fort Lewis, a fort used to protect people traveling on the Carroll Trail, was created in 1874. Lewistown in named after this fort. It was the site of a gold rush when gold was discovered in the Judith Mountains in 1880, and many miners began to settle there permanently.